Much of the lead found in adults today was deposited decades ago in our skeleton and is just now leaching out from our bones into our blood. What are the health consequences of having lead levels down around the American average?
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking directly support NutritionFacts.org).
I’m such a sucker for science documentaries, and my favorite episode of Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey was The Clean Room (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3410940/), which dealt with this very issue. Trivia: Carl Sagan was my next-door neighbor when I was at Cornell!
If you want to find out How the Leaded Gas Industry Got Away With It (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/•How-the-Leaded-Gas-Industry-Got-Away-With-It), check out that video. How the Lead Paint Industry Got Away With It (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/How-the-Lead-Paint-Industry-Got-Away-With-It) is similarly scandalous. Lead in Drinking Water (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/lead-in-drinking-water) offers the modern-day tale of what happened in Flint. “Normal” Blood Lead Levels Can Be Toxic (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Normal-Blood-Lead-Levels-Can-Be-Toxic) explores the impacts on childhood development.
I’ll close out this extended video series on lead with what we can do about it:
• How to Lower Lead Levels with Diet: Thiamine, Fiber, Iron, Fat, Fasting? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/How-to-Lower-Lead-Levels-with-Diet-Thiamine-Fiber-Iron-Fat-Fasting)
• How to Lower Lead Levels with Diet: Breakfast, Whole Grains, Milk, Tofu? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/How-to-Lower-Lead-Levels-with-Diet-Breakfast-Whole-Grains-Milk-Tofu)
• Best Foods for Lead Poisoning: Chlorella, Cilantro, Tomatoes, Moringa? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Best-Foods-for-Lead-Poisoning-Chlorella-Cilantro-Tomatoes-Moringa)
• Best Food for Lead Poisoning – Garlic (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Best-Food-for-Lead-Poisoning-Garlic)
• Can Vitamin C Help with Lead Poisoning? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Can-Vitamin-C-Help-with-Lead-Poisoning)
• Yellow Bell Peppers for Male Infertility and Lead Poisoning? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Yellow-Bell-Peppers-for-Male-Infertility-and-Lead-Poisoning)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-effects-of-low-level-lead-exposure-in-adults and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-effects-of-low-level-lead-exposure-in-adults. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Google+: https://plus.google.com/+NutritionfactsOrgMD
• Podcast : http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/